Kinnekswiss, Edouard André Municipal Park
The approximately 30-hectare city park is considered the green heart of the city and stretches from Avenue Marie-Thérèse to Avenue de la Porte-Neuve. Its history begins with the demolition of the fortress of Luxembourg after the Treaty of London in 1867. The belt of fortifications that secured the city to the northwest was largely demolished after the withdrawal of the Prussian garrison, leaving only the trees planted for camouflage. In 1878, the famous Parisian landscape architect Edouard André began planning the city park.
The "Kinnekswiss" is the most extensive lawn in the city park, which makes it a popular meeting place in good weather for picnics and sports. Larger events also take place on the lawn on various occasions, such as "Kinnekswiss loves..." an open-air concert with classical music, a play festival for children on National Day or as part of "Winterlights" a Christmas market with an ice skating rink.
The city park also has an adventure playground for children in the form of a pirate ship and houses the Villa Vauban art museum, the Villa Louvigny and the Redouit Lambert fortress remains.