Before the construction boom, from 1950 onwards, the area here consisted of vast swathes of pastureland with grazing cows. Belair’s earlier name of “Duvenvelt”, in use from the 13th to the 20th century, also bears witness to its former rural character.
The street leading from today’s Boulevard Grande-Duchesse Charlotte to Merl Cemetery was called “Dauwelswee”, or “Rue de Daubenfeld”. The name can be traced back to the species of buttercup flowers, known in French as “grande douve”, which grew in the moors and meadows at the time. Then, people in Luxembourg didn’t go to Belair, but to “Dauwelt” (the buttercup field).
The present-day name “Belair” probably originates from the inscription on the façade of architect Mathias Martin’s house: Maison Bel Air 1923. The name was first adopted as the name of the street, and later as the name of the entire neighbourhood. The district officially became Belair in 1956; prior to this, it had been called “Neimärel”.