The so-called "Maison de Bourgogne", or "House of Burgundy" adjoins an inner courtyard in the center of the government district. This building was first mentioned in 1447 and was built on the site of the former monetary workshop of the counts of Luxembourg. Shortly thereafter, the building became the property of Claude de Neufchâtel, lord of Le Fay and lieutenant general (1475-1477), then governor (1477-1478, 1480-1486) of the duchy of Luxembourg. The residence was successively named Maison du Fay, then Berbourg and then Metternich. It was then owned by the Congregation of Notre-Dame before housing the Ministry of State between 1975 and 2019.
The columns and pointed arches at the entrance to the stair tower, built in brick and entirely preserved, are typical elements of the transition period between the Gothic and Renaissance styles. It is therefore one of the oldest preserved buildings in Luxembourg.